Can Dogs Eat Papaya? All Things You Need To Know
Fruits and vegetables are known to have the best nutrients, however, dog owners are not too enthusiastic when it comes to feeding their dogs with non-meat foods. It is not a question that dogs would not hesitate to eat every food that they encounter, even if the food is not for them.
Dog owners usually worry about their dogs for possible risks if they ingest all kinds of food. Furthermore, dogs would not know if what they are eating is good for their health. It is important to know some details about the papaya fruit and what does it provide to your dogs.
Can Dogs Eat Papaya?
Papaya is an exotic fruit which is becoming more popular with the westerners because of its nutritional values, and easy preparation. A lot of dog owners are enthusiastic to try new foods, which may or may not be suitable for dogs. The best rule is to always consult your doctor about your dog’s health.
Generally, the Papaya fruit is safe for dogs to eat, which you can give from time to time. You should not worry if your dog is able to this fruit because it normally would not cause any sickness to your pet.
It is safe for you and your dog to feed just a small amount in order for you to know if your dog can tolerate its taste. When you decide to give your dog a slice of papaya, you should remember to feed it minimally.
Although there are advantages of Papaya which your dog can benefit, it is not the main food for your dog to grow healthy and strong. You should remember that the Papaya fruit can be a recommended snack or treat for your dog.
However, there are already dog food companies that are now using papaya in commercial dog food, which are generally safe. You can either choose to prepare fresh papaya or the ones that are sold by dog food manufacturers.
What Are The Health Benefits of Papaya?
Health experts, all alike, would recommend the papaya fruit to anyone because of its many benefits. Although this fruit is commonly eaten by humans, this is also good for your dogs. There are many benefits of the papaya, and it is important to know some of them.
- Papaya should be eaten to improve your digestive system. This fruit is very rich in fiber and enzymes which your body needs all the time. You will not only benefit from this but also your dog because it is known to heal mild intestinal tract infection. If your dog suffers from intestinal worms, you should give your dog this fruit because it has a natural deworming function. Also, the papaya fruit can prevent colon cancer.
- The Papaya fruit is rich in vitamins A, E, K, and C. The papaya can give your dog the right vitamins to grow healthy and strong. Aside from these vitamins, this fruit also contains magnesium, calcium, and potassium, which are very important to maintain immunity.
- Papaya is a great source of antioxidants. Since papaya is rich in vitamins, your dog is assured of a healthy skin and coat. Dogs are not susceptible to common colds and influenza, and the antioxidants in papaya can help your dog to fight against these common illnesses.
- Papaya contains anti-inflammatory properties. Papaya contains vital enzymes known as papain and chymopapain recognized to prevent inflammation. Also, these enzymes increase the healing process of any wounds or inflammation. Your dog may suffer from minor wounds and inflammation from time to time, so it is a great idea to feed your dog a slice of papaya once in awhile.
- Papaya can prevent excessive bloating. Your dog can also experience indigestion which will result in gas formation in the stomach or bloating, and one way to prevent this is to feed your dog with a papaya fruit.
How To Prepare Papaya For Your Dog
Although papaya is an exotic fruit, it is easy to prepare. First, you have to wash the fruit to remove dirt and pesticides if they are not organic. It is better to buy a ripe one because it is much softer and easier to feed to your dog.
After washing the fruit, you have to remove the skin by peeling. If you have the ones that are big, you have to cut them in half, or just take a small block or portion to feed to your dog. Take out the skin, and remove the seeds. Remember that the seeds of papaya are toxic to dogs and may cause intestinal problems.
It is important to remove the skin of the papaya so that your dog can easily chew and swallow the fruit. Your dog may choke from eating the skin of the papaya, and it is not easily digested in the stomach.
After you remove the skin peel and the seeds, slice the papaya into small blocks and you may feed them to your dog. The papaya fruit can provide great benefits to your dogs but it is important to remember that give them a minimal amount.
Furthermore, remember to feed your dog with small chunks. Large chunks will increase the risk of choking. You can always include the papaya in your dog’s normal dog food, or you can use this for daily treats.
Papaya is now part of a dog’s diet and you can easily obtain them from your grocery stores. You can either choose to feed your dog fresh papaya or dehydrated papaya. However, it is important to know that fresh papaya is more nutritional than the dehydrated ones.
With the many benefits of papaya, your dog can commit to an active lifestyle. You don’t have to worry because this type of fruit is safe and is highly recommended. We would love to hear your own stories about feeding papaya to your dog.