Can Dogs Eat Dates? The Amazing Truth Revealed
Dates come from a flowering plant. This is often sweet and is edible. As a fruit, dates contain a lot of health benefits such as helping to promote heart health, relieving diarrhea and reducing blood pressure. It also resembles raisins but the difference is unlike dates, raisins can be toxic to dogs.
As a result, many dog owners may want to feed their dogs some dates. However, one question remains standing. And that question is can dog eat dates? Be sure to first read this article and find out the answer.
Can Dogs Eat Dates
Of course, every dog owner wants to give their dogs and pups an all-natural and organic diet. With that being said, you may want to give your dogs fruits. After all, they give a multitude of nutritional benefits. However, is it safe? To be specific, is it safe to feed your dog dates, a fruit that resembles raisins and comes from a flowering plant?
Well, dates may resemble the look of raisins, but unlike raisins, dates are not toxic and are safe for your dogs. That said, the answer is yes. However, that is a yes with some reservations. While you can give your dogs dates, you can only do so in moderation.
It has already been established that dates come with a whole lot of benefits for the health and more but let us also establish the fact that dates, as a fruit, also comes with a really high amount of sugar. This is especially true for dogs that may be overweight or suffering from diabetes. Keep in mind that for every hundred grams of dates, comes an amount of sixty three grams of sugar.
Factors to Take into Consideration
As stated, it is safe to feed your dogs some dates. However, while it can be safe, there are still a couple of limitations that one must take note of. Here are the following precautions:
- Dates are not common or popular allergens. However, you have to remember that if your dog has never had any dates, then there may still be a possibility that your dog is allergic to dates. With that being said, it is better if you just give dates in small amount first, just to test the reaction of the body of your dog.
- Once you reach the stage in which your dog is already used to being fed dates, remember that you still have to limit his or her consumption and intake of dates. Why is this? This is because dates also contain a lot of fiber. As you may know, consuming too much of fiber can send the stomach of your dogs into overdrive. This may result in diarrhea. So remember to just limit his or her intake of it.
- As has been stated, dates come with a lot of sugar. Too much sugar is not just bad for dogs with diabetes or for dogs but for dogs, in general. Dogs do not have bodies designed or built to consume and digest a large amount of sugar. In result, please keep in mind to also limit his or her intake of dates for this purpose.
- Lastly, please always remember that you must remove the pits. Now, what are pits? Do not go thinking that pits are toxic because they are not, unlike some fruit pits. Pits are free from any toxic substances such as cyanide. However, pits may cause a blockage, most especially in the intestines. After all, it is a choking hazard.
With all those being said, of course, there are still a lot of benefits that dates offer. Dates are not just nutritious but also offer versatility. They are full of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Here are the following:
- Since dates is a fruit, it comes with a high content of carbohydrates. These carbs are good sources of energy. As a result, dates are a good food that you can use to boost the energy of your dog.
- As stated, dates come with a high amount of fiber. Since dates come with a large content of fiber, it promotes healthy digestion among your dogs in an all natural and organic way. It also allows the movement of the waste of your dog through the colon in a smooth and easy way.
- As a fruit, dates come with a multitude of minerals. With dates, you are able to give your dog a balanced amount of each and every important mineral, essential for the health of your dog. These minerals include calcium, potassium, copper, iron, magnesium and zinc.
- Dates are not just rich in minerals, but also in a number of certain Vitamins. These Vitamins are helpful when it comes to boosting the immunity of your dog’s health. These Vitamins include Ascorbic Acid or Vitamin C. These vitamins help your dog to fight off different infections. This property of dates keeps your dogs healthy and energetic.
- Dates, as a fruit, is rich in Potassium. As we all know, Potassium is a mineral very important for the well-being of your dog’s cardiovascular health. Dates help to regulate the blood pressure of your dog. They also prevent the chances of your dog having any irregular heartbeats.
To sum it all up, the answer is yes, your dog can eat dates. Although, you can only do so with certain reservations. First, keep mind that if your dog never had dates before then there is still a possibility that your dog may be allergic to dates.
Second, dates are very rich in sugar. As a result, you have to limit the sugar intake of your dog. Third, it is also rich in fiber. It is a good thing, however, too much of this may result in constipation. In general, you can feed your dog dates but only in moderation.