Top 5 Of The Best Joint Supplement For Dogs List
The best joint supplement for dogs incorporates three joint building blocks balanced with several key ingredients with substantial joint benefits.
Most people think that the best joint supplement for dogs has nothing else in it but glucosamine. While this amino sugar and prominent precursor of proteins and lipids are indeed one of the vital ingredients, it is not enough. Here is a list of the top join supplements for dogs.
Top Five Best Joint Supplement for Dogs
After listing down the ingredients that make a good joint supplement, it’s time to look at the most favoured products in the market today.
Remember that these are food supplements and not medical intervention to cure your dog. If you find your K9 friend suffering from serious joint issues, it is best to have a veterinarian advice you first before considering these items.
How to Choose Joint Supplement for Dogs
There are hundreds of joint supplement products in the market today. Unfortunately, not all of these products provide the right amount of benefits to keep your dog’s joints healthy and happy. In this case, there are two key points to remember:
1. Not all joint supplements are equal
2. Not all ingredients are used in the same amount of different products and brandsHowever, buying products with high levels of nutritional ingredients is not enough. You also need to factor in the veterinarian’s recommended daily amount per dog’s weight.
Although there are a few observed side effects of supplement overdose, there have been instances when dogs vomit or get diarrhea.
To have a better understanding on this subject, here are the key active ingredients to look for:
This substance is considered as one of the building blocks of cartilage. It is naturally present in animal bones, fungi, shellfish, and bone marrow.
As a dietary supplement, it is important to remember that it is not a pharmaceutical drug and should not be used or expected to treat joint diseases or conditions.
Often used with glucosamine, chondroitin is also a natural substance found in the connective tissues of both animals and humans. In natural sources, this substance is commonly found in shark or bovine cartilage.
Like glucosamine, it can be manufactured in the lab and used as a supplement for joint health.
This natural substance found in highest concentrations in the eyes and joints work as lubricant and cushion for the joints. It has many uses in the medical field, but it is particularly known to provide relief for various joint disorders like osteoarthritis.
Notably green-lipped mussel, its extracts contains carbohydrates, amino acids, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. As many laboratory studies have substantiated, omega-3 fatty acid has anti-inflammatory properties and are beneficial in maintaining joint function and cell structure.
Although more studies are being conducted on the link between MSM and joint health, this substance is a common ingredient in dietary supplements for joint pain relief. It has been tested and so far proven beneficial in reducing oxidative stress and inflammation.
As substances that delay certain types of cell damage, antioxidants are generally found in vegetables and fruits. Among the classes of antioxidants include Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, Beta-carotene, Lycopene, Lutein, Citrus Bioflavonoids, Quercetin, and Zinc.
These substances help in neutralizing free radicals or the molecules that damage cells particularly those in the joints.
Also commonly referred to as Spanish dagger or Mujave yucca, this flowering plant has been used to treat gonorrhoea, headaches, bleeding, rheumatism, and arthritis. Its extracts are now used for herbal medications. You may also notice this ingredient in pet deodorizers.
This plant is the main ingredient for Indian frankincense, which in Ayurvedic medicine has been used to treat arthritis for hundreds of years. Extracts of this plant have been extensively studied for joint function and osteoarthritis.
It is also proven to have benefits in treating chronic inflammatory diseases including rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis among others.
This enzyme is found in pineapple stem and juice. It is commonly used to reduce inflammation. Some people combine this with a protein called trypsin and a substance found in buckwheat called rutin to improve knee function and reduce pain caused by arthritis.
This mineral is essential for the bone structure to grow normally and properly. It is effective in helping supplement the mineral density of the spinal bone. At the same time, it is also an antioxidant that helps fight free radicals from destroying healthy cells in the body.
According to a 2013 study published in the Annals of Rheumatic Disease, omega-3 supplements helped reduce joint paints in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
This, however, did not help address joint damage. As mentioned earlier, these supplements help relief and alleviate the problem to some extent, but it does not cure the disease.
Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables (ASUs)
This natural extract from 1/3 avocado oil and 2/3 soybean oil, is believed to slow down the progression of osteoarthritis. According to a 2003 study published in the Journal of Rheumatology, ASUs inhibit cartilage breakdown and promote its repair. It has also shown improved symptoms of osteoarthritis in the knee and hip.
MicroLactin Milk Protein
Interventions with this protein concentrate in persons with osteoarthritic pain show improvement in the osteoarthritic index after 3-6 weeks of supplementation.
Some supplements have aspirin to relieve joint pain. Its anti-inflammatory properties may help relieve swelling and pain.
White Willow Bark
This plant acts a lot like aspirin as it is commonly used to relieve pain particularly rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and spine diseases among others.
Laboratory studies of this amino acid derivative show its contributions to muscle capabilities. It is also known as the most cost-effective dietary supplement to help gain strength and muscle mass.
Not all these ingredients have to be present in a joint supplement for dogs, but having most of these in a product is a good indicator of its quality and effectiveness.
Specifically made for senior dogs, this supplement improves mobility as it reduces joint pains.
However, it is also a great early prevention before the onset of arthritis for younger dogs.
It has properties that improves joint function and repairs cartilages so that painful and expensive surgeries are avoided as much as possible.
- For young and old dogs
- Contains glucosamine, Omega 3 & 6, Vitamins C & E, Hyaluronic Acid, MSM, and Chondroitin
- Reduces and eliminates pain
- Helps avoid invasive surgeries
- No more stiffness and limping
- No need for pain medication
- Some dogs may have to be tricked to ingest it
- Best for prevention and may do little to cure serious joint conditions
It’s an unfortunate part of old age that dogs do go slow as they age. As much as you want to delay it, it’s all part of nature.
The best thing to do is to ensure the pain is tolerable and your dog still get to do his or her old activities with ease.
This supplement helps aging dogs feel less discomfort and pain as it helps increase their mobility and promote joint resiliency and overall good health.
- Contains 62% more glucosamine than some formulas
- Contains 50% more Chondroitin than some formulas
- Sulfur purified and distilled for the structural integrity of the joint cartilage
- In liquid form
- Absorbed more quickly and efficiently
- Contains active ingredients such as glucosamine, chondroitin, Hyaluronic Acid, Manganese, and MSM
- Contains inactive ingredients such as pure aloe vera juice, vegetable glycerine, citric acid, stevia, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, and purified water
- Free from: sugar, soy derrivatives, salt, milk, starch, corn, gluten, and yeast
- Some dogs may show adverse reaction such as appetite loss and vomiting
- Liquid form may be challenging for some dogs and dog owners
Some dog owners choose to go natural for fear that synthetic ingredients may have adverse effects on their dog’s health.
This all natural supplement from PointPet promises aiding your dog to a healthy and pain-free life.
The company boosts of its safe and natural formulation to improve joint function and quality of life. If you want to go natural, perhaps this product is what you are looking for.
- Soft and chewable
- Duck flavoured so it’s easy to administer
- Natural ingredients such as glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, Vitamin E, Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, and yucca schidigera powder
- Anti-inflammatory effect
- Help reduce joint pain
- Naturally restores joint health
- Facilitates increased mobility
- Improves joint lubrication
- Eliminates the need for invasive procedures
- May not sit well with some dogs
- May cause vomiting and loose bowel movement to some dogs
When old age comes, it is very difficult to watch your beloved dog struggle with movements that simple tasks like getting up seem like a very difficult thing to do.
With glucosamine, chondroitin, and Vitamin C, works both as a pain relief and an aid for healing.
This product comes with a proprietary formula that instantly addresses nutrition and health challenges that result to joint pains.
The supplement works for dogs suffering from hip dysplasia and arthritis.
- All natural formula
- Substances used are already found in the body
- Laboratory tested for safety
- Contains 3 key ingredients - glucosamine, chondroitin, and Vitamin C
- Comes in bacon flavor
- Some dogs may not like the flavour
- Food supplement and not cure for joint problems
- May cause vomiting to some dogs
Doggie Dailies formula helps in lubricating joints to ease discomfort from painful arthritis and discomfort due to hip dysplasia.
The product is carefully crafted to achieve that sensitive balance between flavor and content that many dog owners struggle to find.
These soft chews are made natural and delicious with vital vitamins, nutrients, enzymes, and minerals that dog suffering from joint problems need.
- Superior advanced formula with glucosamine, chondroitin, Vitamins C & E, Omega 3 & 6, Hyaluronic Acid, yucca schidigera, CoEnzyme Q10, cod liver and salmon oil for skin and coat
- Lubricates joints
- Eases discomfort and pain from hip dysplasia and arthritis
- Improves overall joint health
- Aids mobility
- Promotes healthy ligaments
- Boosts natural energy levels
- Appealing taste for easier and convenient administration
- May cause loose bowel movement to some dogs
- Flavor may not be palatable to some dogs
- May need to be disguised for administration to some dogs
The Best Joint Supplement For Dogs Is…
It is difficult to decide which of these supplements outshines the rest. All of these products have been created and perfected over years of research on pet care.
However, if the basis is on the combination of different elements needed, the best one has got to be Doggie Dailies Advanced Hip and Joint Supplement for Dogs.
The primary reason why this Doggie Dailies product wins is its combination of flavor as well as its natural and superior formula.
This product simply increases the bar for its standards in producing supplements. They have definitely gone beyond the cheaply produced industry standards.
Perhaps their 25 years of experience in the industry has greatly helped strengthen their products.
While the other supplements are awesome in their own right, Doggie Dailies has reached the perfect balance of the six active ingredients that is frankly difficult to find in the market today.
With that said, perhaps you can try mix and match the items mentioned in this review and see which one suits your beloved pet best.
Remember not to wait until the onset of joint disease. When it comes to aging problems, prevention is indeed better than cure.